Is it correct that I do not have to pay Medicare levy if I am not Australian?

Generally speaking, it is correct. If you live in Australia, but are not eligible for Medicare during all, or part of, any financial year, you can claim an exemption from paying the levy. To claim the exemption on your tax return, you must apply for a Medicare levy exemption certificate.

457 visa holders, student visa holders, resident 417 and 462 visa holders  are usually able to be exempt from Medicare levy.

You may not be eligible for the exemption if you:

  • hold a permanent resident visa or have applied for a permanent resident visa
  • were a resident of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Malta, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Belgium, New Zealand, Norway or Slovenia before entering Australia maintain a dependant or another person who was eligible for Medicare
  • are an Australian citizen living overseas for less than five years

We can prepare a Medicare levy exemption certificate for additional $35.

Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.