I am leaving Australia before July. Can I lodge a tax return before 1st July?

Yes. In case where you have left or are leaving Australia permanently (not coming back and working within at least 2 years), you can lodge your tax return early. For example, your visa expired and you went back to your country and you are moving overseas.

You need all of PAYG payment summaries (group certificates) or equivalents such as a last payslip. To obtain PAYG payment summaries, please contact your employers.


  • You leave Australia.
  • You will no longer be an Australian resident for tax purposes.
  • You will no longer receive Australian income other than interest or dividends.

An early lodgement is not an obligation. You can lodge after July which is a normal tax return time.

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.